Participants: MERI and CIMIC-Rutgers University
NJMC Meadowlands Commission serves their constituency of planners, environmentalists, researchers, teachers, and other interested public with rich environmental data in the form of documents, satellite images, measurements of chemical and physical parameters from water, land and air, maps, wildlife inventories, videos and photographs. Through Digital Meadowlands this information is continuously collected and integrated into searchable digital forms available to all who are interested in the estuary.
Digital Meadowlands is a project sponsored by MERI and implemented by Rutgers University CIMIC Center to develop the tools and technologies to support models for meadowlands environmental data capturing, data representation and storage, data manipulation, data dissemination, and integration. The goal is to satisfy the needs of meadowlands decision makers and information seekers with intuitive, multi-media presentation of meadowlands data in rapid and accurate manner.
Specific objectives of Digital Meadowlands include:
1. Integrate data and generate customized value added applications to give a holistic view of the urban estuary, biodiversity, vegetation patterns for better decision making to manage meadowlands area
2. Controlled release of sensitive information to the appropriate users at appropriate level
3. Streamline the Meadowlands Management and Business Operations at NJMC
4. Provide a user-centric and user-friendly interface for data and information browsing and retrieval
5. Identify scientific data and information available and rapidly changing information needs of diverse user groups in the meadowlands
6. Design and Build appropriate data model and algorithms to process scientific data
- (semi-)automate generation of semantic and other metadata to describe data items
- Develop Scientific Data Warehousing, and indexing to provide Effective and efficient storage and retrieval
- Develop algorithms and methods for meaningful Data Mining, Spatial Data mining
- Facilitate Interoperability for seamless integration of data and information flow
7. Integrate and streamline the process of information gathering, storing and retrieval
8. Provide a uniform interface for accessing a number of catalogs and other information sources and rank them in the order of user preferences and support non-exact matches.
Overview of Data and Collections: Digital Meadowlands maintains the following data repositories.